Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Bayani's and Coke


I was standing at the door waiting for it to open so I could bribe my way into his class with a cold bottle of diet Coke... they said his class was over capacity by 20 students. I knew this was my last chance so I had to pull all the stops.

This was my third English class I had attempted to crash and time was running out. From the last two classes I was rejected from you'd think I would've given up by now and said fuck it... but I didn't. I pulled through and took a risk.


A few hours before class started I was in Maria Abuans counseling room practically on my knees begging to get into their Bayan learning community because they had the only English class open. I left countless messages on her answering machine you'd have thought I was stalking her or something.

But to my surprise she gave in and gave me the slightest bit of hope. She said, "I want you to attend Mr. Aronson's lecture and let me know what you think." I took that as an invitation to the class and it felt like a huge chip was lifted form my shoulders.

But nothing was for certain yet. So I had to play my cards right if I wanted that add code.

Before I left her office she had mentioned that his favorite drink was either coffee or coke... I was so desperate i felt like this little bit of information was going to be the key to my enrollment to this class. So I took advantage of what she told me and ran to the cafeteria.

So now I'm standing at the door crowded by students hoping as well to get into the class, some lucky enough to already be enrolled. Now all these thoughts are running through my head like,

"Is this considered bribing?"
"I should've gone with the coffee, what if he's not feeling soda right now?"
"Maybe i shouldn't have grabbed diet, what if he thinks I’m calling him fat?"

But before i had any time to back out the door opens and everyone starts to rush in like cattle. I made a bee line straight for the professor and made sure that i was the first one to approach him. I hesitated to hand him the drink but when I did he gave off a faint laugh as if he was already expecting it. He thanked me and told me to place it on the table then grab a seat for he had been expecting me.

I guess you can say only through my persistence that I had gotten the class. Getting classes in college is no joke. I remember in high school they take you out of classes just to register for classes next year but now you are responsible for taking time out and registering earlier than everyone to get the classes you want. I guess going to college will teaches me to be a little more independent and responsible but at the same time having as much fun as I can.


4 comments:

  1. " what if he thinks I’m calling him fat?"
    this actually made me laugh haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll love being in the Bayan community. It is a different experience and what you learn from Henry and Maria will follow you through the rest of your time in college. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha i enjoyed reading your post. Yeah it was crazy how many people i being told by my professors "you trying to crash? sorry we are already full. good luck." I'm glad you made it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me laugh. You're a good writer! I felt like I was there with you experiencing all the craziness and worrying about if getting a diet coke was the right choice haha.

    ReplyDelete